Saturday, September 22, 2012

New Macross game coming in 2013

A nice spot of Macross news that's actually new and, well, good for a change! We're getting a new game. Maybe. Fingers crossed.



Namco-Bandai has opened up a teaser site for a new Macross game, tentatively titled "Macross 30" (and see, now you can -totally- read the katakana Macross logo! Who says I never taught no one nuffin'). Platform? No clue. Release date? Some time next year. Apparently a brief "trailer" for the game made an appearance at the Tokyo Game Show. And by "trailer," I--of course--mean an montage of animated scenes from the various anime series set to new music, with zero footage of the actual game.

I know, right: Namco-Bandai really plays fast and loose with our expectations.



So: what can we expect? Well, that's a tough one. Earlier, I alluded to the fact that recent Macross news has been, well, underwhelming at best. And by recent, I mean ever since 2010. So far, there have been three, count them, three Macross games on current-generation platforms. Namely, the PS3. Sadly, each game has only amounted to half a game--at best. Sold in "hybrid packs" along side blu-ray copies of various Macross movies, each game has been very short, very sparse on content, and very disappointing. Hell, the first game barely amounted to a demo!

Many of us, myself included, kept hoping that next time, next time, they'd release a full game. And each time, all we saw was a new hybrid pack. So, now that we've got a -real- Macross game incoming, what form might it take? Well, I'd say it's all-but certain to be developed by Dimps. These guys have made a half-dozen Macross games in the last decade (which amount to -all- of the Macross games in the last decade) and have proven themselves to be very good at what they do. If they're the ones behind the wheel, I say pre-order this fuzzy puppy as soon as you can--I know I will.

And what platform should we expect to see it on? Well, that's a bit of a toss-up. The PS3 has the larger install base, and with 3 hybrid-pak games under their belt, Dimps has demonstrated a certain level of competence with the hardware. They've got their Battle engine working on the PS3, and between the three prior "games" already have many of the necessary assets in place and ready to go.

On the other hand, they also recently released Gundam Seed Battle Destiny on the Playstation Vita, a Vita release is equally likely. Bearing in mind that Dimps has traditionally developed portable games, and that the game is releasing next year, a Vita game seems to be the safest bet. After all, since they already have all those PS3 assets ready to go, surely they would have released a full PS3 game already--and they certainly would have had more to show at TGS than a generic anime teaser.

That said, all of this speculation hinges on a handful of assumptions, first and foremost being that Dimps is, in fact, the developer behind the game. So take it all with a grain of salt and please, please, please don't get mad at me if I end up being completely and utterly wrong.

And yeah, I know that was redundant. It was for effect.

...

....

ASIDE:

You may or may not have noticed that this is my first blog post in a while. I feel the need to explain this, but NOT the need to explain this in an independent post. So this is an aside. Here for Macross goodness? Great. Stop reading. Everything else I have to say here is boring bullcrap and malarkey anyway.

*ahem*

So why the long spread of nothing?

Well, I wish I had a good reason. I don't. Last year, or rather a few months ago, I began translating manga. It's a slow and tedious process, not at all helped when my hard drive died in August killing all of the work I'd intended on "putting out there" in one big batch. But I'm managing, fighting that nagging feeling that what I'm doing is lies in a nasty ethical gray-area. I said at the beginning, and many times in the middle, that though I was scanlating manga, that this would NOT be a scanlation blog.

But, you see, despite my protests... that's kind of what it became. And I don't want that. You see, I've been wanting to update more regularly here, to steadily add content to this blog... make it into something at least passably worthwhile. But each time I tried, I'd always think: no, I can't do this. I need to put out a new chapter before I write this review. I need to put out a new chapter before I articulate this barely tenable opinion.

And these chapters, you may remember, are long. 50 to 120 pages each, filled with text, and my solitary efforts are not, shall we say, performed with alacrity.

And that's how months and months pass with so much inactivity.

This blog cannot function like this. Therefore, I to fix things, I cannot simply /say/ that it is not a scanlation blog; the essence of this place must be reflected in my tediously verbose actions.

To that end: I will no longer make new posts when I am done translating a chapter. Do you want to be kept appraised of my efforts? Do you want to read the fruits of that effort? Ignore the blog; hit the "Translations" tab. Or MangaTraders. I will keep in up-to-date with my current scanlation status.

Any future news-posts regarding translated manga will not contain any download links, and will instead focus on translation notes--and believe me, I've got plenty of those--and perhaps brief analyses and opinions re: the content.

By doing so I hope to alleviate my ever-growing neuroses, while at the same time more succinctly segregating the two sides of this blog.

So, yeah. That's that. I'm still alive, and I plan on being, um, more alive in the future.

Apologies for the aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment