Saturday, January 21, 2012

Merch Medley VIII

Time for January's Merch Medley, and yikes--there's a lot to cover. Let's start out with some Figuarts.





 The Sheryle Nome Figuarts figure will be released in April 2012 for 4,500 yen. It's fairly expensive, but looks quite nice. I'm tempted to grab it myself right now, but I think I'll wait and see if HLJ ever gets it on sale. Granted, I say that a lot, and I still haven't gotten myself those Lupin or Yotsuba revoltechs I wanted. Hell, the only non-robot figure I've own is the little magnetic-Fuuka that came with my copy of Disgaea 4.


Ah, Persona 4's MC. I really need to catch up on the anime. What was his name? I want to say "Minato Namikaze," but that's probably wrong. This figure will be out in May 2012 for 2,940 yen--far more affordable.
The Trunks Figuarts figure will be released May 2012 for 3,990 yen. Seems nice, if a bit simple. Anyway, let's move on to the revoltech.


Edward Elric will be on sale in March 2012 for 2,980 yen. It seems a bit late to capitalize on the FMA hype, what with Brotherhood and the manga both long-since over. The figure looks genuinely good, but right now all it does is remind me how disappointed I was with the "real" ending of the series. Sure, it was 'happy,' but I'm never fond of endings where protagonists end up losing their powers. (Yeah, time-limit on spoilers has been over for a while now). Still, at least it was better than that Shamballa nonsense.


That's the "Eva Evolution 4." I'm assuming it's from the movies I haven't gotten around to watching yet, because I've never seen it before. It'll be out in March, 2012, for 2,900 yen.


More Persona goodness with a D-Arts Thanatos, due out April 2012 at 4,500 yen.

 Yeah--there's a lot of gunpla to show off. The above, the Adele, will be out next month (February) for 1,200 yen. If you don't remember, this is the mass-produced version of the AGE-1. It's basically a Genoace head and legs with Spallow arms, AGE-1 shield/rifle combo, all welded onto a Dragonar's torso. I like it.

I always love it when models include stands. The AGE-2 will be out January (this month!) for 1,500 yen. It should also be appearing on TV in a couple of weeks. I really hope those spikey-wing-things have some sort of practical function. And I also hope that if they do have a practical function, it's not the obvious--ridiculous funnels/swords, and so on. Maybe that's too much to hope for.

No maybe--it almost certainly is.


Since we haven't heard anything yet about the AGE-2 third variant, I'm beginning to suspect maybe there won't be one. All things considered, I prefer the AGE-2 Double Barret to the normal AGE-2. Those mini-Byalant guns are cool, and I like how the heavier legs balance out the design. It'll be out March 2012 for 1,500 yen, and I've already got mine pre-ordered off HLJ.

Next up is the HG Dorado, out this month for 1,200 yen. It's basically a sleeker Garfan that looks better in every conceivable respect. But I'll be damned if I don't miss the whole dragon transformation thing.


This is the Genoace 2. It's pretty disappointing--it's basically just a recolor of Woolf's Genoace Custom. So it looks like the Federation's standard model in Generation 2 will still be a 25+ year old mobile suit. And the worst part? It traded the original Genoace's unique shoulder armor for some generic winged-shoulderpad. Ulgh.

Anyway, if you're so inclined, you can brab it this March for 1,200 yen.


This thing that looks like it just leaped out of Macross Seven is the Zeidora. It'll be out this February for 1,300 yen. Now let's move on to the master grades....


The master grade AGE-1 Gundam will be released next month, February 2012, for 3,500 yen. I think it looks very good, but ultimately even the master-grade treatment yields a very simplistic design. I suppose that's the whole point--to make the AGE-1 a simpler, even more basic gundam than the RX-78-2 itself, but that also makes it the last model I'd want to spend hours constructing. Oh well.


Don't really have much to say here. I've always found the Heavyarms (and Sandrock) to be singularly unappealing. The giant gatling does look pretty cool mounted on the back, however.

And now, finally, let's wrap up this monster of a merch medley with a preview of my favorite figure line, the Robot Damashii/Robot Spirits line

 The Robot Damashii AGE-1 Spallow will be released February 2012 for 3,300 yen. I'm a bit worried at the slow pace of the RD figures--at this rate, generation 3 will be starting by the time we get Titus, and we won't see the AGE-2 Double Bullet (the one figure I'm most interested in) until 2013.

 And it's a robot damashii Bat-Shu, from Heavy Metal L-Gaim.Cool! It'll be out at the end of this month (January) for 5,774 yen. Too bad it's a web-shop exclusive.

 If you're first thought was, "Holy hell, a robot damashii Dragonar-1! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!" Our thoughts are very much alike. If that thought was followed almost immediately by a nagging, somewhat painful sensation in the back of your mind whispering, "something this cool must be another Tamashii Web-Shop exclusive....."

Then....

It's my sad duty to inform you that yes, yes it is.

GODAMMIT!

Those fortunate enough to live in Japan, or silly enough to pay exhorbitantly inflated import prices, would be obscenely lucky to be able to buy it for its retail price of 8,925 yen when it's released this April, 2012.

Let's end things with a Robot Damashii figure the rest of us actually stand a chance of getting our hands on:


 That's more like it. Nothing beats the classic Nu Gundam. The Robot Damashii Nu will be released April 2012 for 4,200 yen. A great figure at an acceptable price. I wonder if it'll be possible to rig it into a D.F.F. Nu Gundam....?




.

1 comment: