Saturday, December 24, 2011

Gundam: The Origin Volume 04 Chapter 01 Notes

Don't you just love the holiday season? You spend so much time thinking about gifts, looking for gifts, raging at Best Buy for marking up various items to 500% their retail value, finally buying the gifts--and then you think you're done, right? Time to relax, right?

WRONG.


Then you have to set aside 4 hours to wrap stuff--and mail stuff for those far-away folk--but then (GASP) you have no wrapping paper! And before you know it the whole day is gone. And by "you," I of course mean "me." It just seems less self-centered to speak in the second person.

Anyway, before I get on with that thing I alluded to earlier, there are a few things I need to make clear.

1. This blog is for random (mostly mecha) material. It is not dedicated to anything specific, however.
2. I am not a scanlation group. I'm a single individual with (fairly poor) Japanese skills who sometimes takes it upon myself to translate varioius things that interest me--out of both curiosity and the need for practice.

So now on with the "news."

I've decided to start translating Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's quintessential mecha manga, "Gundam: The Origin." A handful of different groups have translated it at various points in time, but no one has really stuck with it for very long. I took a look at it and realized (to my joyous surprise) that it was written fairly simply and would, therefore, be fairly easy for a novice like me to translate! And because I'm a nice person, I've decided to share my efforts with the community, such that it is.


I've currently finished quality-checking the first chapter of volume 4. I've got the first 3 chapters of the fourth volume fully edited and translated, and hope to be able to finish the book by the end of the month. After that, I can't promise much, but I hope to be able to do a chapter ever 1-2 weeks or so. No promises, though.

Some basic notes about the translation... I've gone through the chapters several times. First, I did a simple literal translation, which was fairly simple save for a few pages where I had a tough time deciphering all the Japanese, mostly in Chapter 3). After that, I went through and changed the literal translations a bit to make the dialog "flow" better. In a few cases this involved moving things around, or changing a few words. Then, I went through it a third time to make sure everything was coherent--i.e. I wasn't too confident on my literal translation of Bright's orders from Jaburo in this chapter, so I changed it to fit with what happens in later chapters. For the most part, I've tried to avoid leaving any Japanese in aside from onomotopoeia. That said, there are a few cases where I've written out Japanese (like oba-san) because there's really no analagous term in English, and I wanted to stay as true to the original dialog as possible.

Anyway, 2012 looks to be the YEAR OF THE ORIGIN, so look forward to a lot more manga, some new animation from Bandai, and maybe a few long-winded diatribes on my part regarding The Origin, Mobile Suit Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for picking this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for scanlating this. I've been waiting ages for someone to start scanlating Origin manga again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I'll be checking up on this

    ReplyDelete