Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New Yamato Valks & Gundam Age HG Kits

Looks like Yamato's Macross 7 line is ~finally~ moving past the VF-19. (About damned time, too). Well, in spurts. Check out the prototypes for their two next figures:

 Love that VF-17. Diamond Force! Well, actually I like the VF-171 (and especially the VF-171EX) better, but that'll never happen, what with Bandai owning the rights for Macross Frontier merchandise. Oh well. At $200, it's a still a priority for me to buy--but a very dim, hazy priority. Unless HLJ or AmiAmi runs a sale, of course.



Not that I have any ****ing shelf space to display it. I've got piles of books every shelf, robots on every flat surface, and unbuilt gunpla boxes stacked in every corner.

Gotta say, I (mostly) like the Genoace design. Very simple grunt, should look really nice animated. Gotta love that face, huh? Most of all, though, I'm probably most intersted in it simply to see how the design evolves through the generations. Gundam Age's multi-generation premise has, at the very least, fixed one of my biggest problems with the franchise--I've always hated how many different suits would be thrown into combat one year, and then retired and replaced the following year.

Plus there's that white custom Genoace, and anything reminiscent of the Tallgeese is a good thing in my book.
 My opinion of the Garfan, however, has probably gotten a bit worse. The "dragon mode" looks good enough, but the mobile suit form looks really awkward. The HG's boxart is pretty badass, I have to admit--but the actual model is probably the single most underwhelming thing I've seen associated with Gundam Age. Part of that may also have to do with the fact that for a big, threatening enemy suit, it's hard to muster up much fear for a dinky blue robot with only the one weapon.

But, as always, the true quality of the designs lies with the animators--and we only have to wait two more weeks to see whether Gundam Age is (finally) taking the franchise into a good direction.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, count me a Genoace fan too. It kind of feels like a "back to basics" sort of thing, proving that grunts don't need to be ridiculous and overdone to be cool (looking at you, A-Laws grunts!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Though I did like the simplicity of the Aheads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Not that I have any ****ing shelf space to display it. I've got piles of books every shelf, robots on every flat surface, and unbuilt gunpla boxes stacked in every corner."

    Hah! I'm in the same boat too...but man, I really do like the look of Yamato's new Valkyries...

    ReplyDelete